Sunday, November 7, 2010

Jonathan Edwards, 12 (A New Biography, I. Murray)

I am simply astounded by Edwards' keen discernment even at the age of 12! I am certain I could never have been able to eloquently express myself as Edwards does in his letter to his sister, 14, nor scarce to even form coherent sentences about the religious goings-on in my church.


To Miss Mary Edwards, at Hadley
Windsor. May 10, 1716.
Dear Sister
Through the wonderful mercy and goodness of God there hath in this place been a very remarkable stirring and pouring out of the Spirit of God, and likewise now is, but I think I have reason to think it is in some measure diminished but I hope not much. About thirteen have been joined to the Church in an estate of full communion. These are those which by enquiry I find you have not heard of that have joined to the Church, viz, John Huntington, Sarah Loomas the daughter of Thomas Loomas, and Esther Elsworth. And there are five that are propounded which are not added to the Church, namely, John Loomas, John Rockwell's wife, Sergt. Thomas Elsworth's wife, Isaac Bissel's wife, and Mary Osband. I think there comes commonly a Mondays above thirty persons to speak with Father about the condition of their souls.
...
Sister, I am glad to hear of your welfare. So often as I do I should be glad to hear from you by a letter and therein how it is with you as to your crookedness.
                                                                                        Your loving brother Jonathan E.
Father and Mother remember their love to you. Likewise do all my sisters and Mercy and Tim.

(Page 20, Chapter 1: The Son of East Windsor)
Murray, Iain Hamish. Jonathan Edwards: a New Biography. Edinburgh: Banner of Truth Trust, 1987. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment